This study aims to suggest new approaches for analyzing English words. So far most vocabulary research has been confined to analyzing word meaning itself and sense relations. New horizons of vocabulary research in this paper relate to the basic concept that words are very similar to individual humans. Based on that concept, this study presents five categories: individuality, relation, preference, idiomaticity, and originality. This paper hopes that new approaches used in this paper will enhance the possibility of easy acquisition of English vocabulary and with this method teachers will possess effective ways to teach English words in a classroom.
- Aitchison, J. 1996. Words in the Mind-An Introduction to the Mental Lexicon-. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Asher, R. E. 1994. The Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics. Oxford: Pergamon Press.
- Bright, W. 1992. International Encyclopedia of Linguistics, Vol. 3. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- French, A. 1953. Pidgin English in New Guinea. Australian Quarterly 23.4, 57-60.
- Fromkin, V. and Robert, R. 1993. An Introduction to Language. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc.
- Griffiths, P. 2006. An Introduction to English Semantics and Pragmatics. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Henning, G. H. 1973. ‘Remembering foreign language vocabulary: acoustic and semantic parameters.’ Language Learning 23.2, 185-196. 10.1111/j.1467-1770.1973.tb00654.x
- Herbert, A. P. 1935. What a word! London: Methuen.
- Jackson, H. 1995. Words and Their Meaning. London: Longman.
- Lyons, J. 1977. Semantics 1. 2, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- McCarthy, M. 1996. Vocabulary. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Saeed, J. I. 1997. Semantics. New Jersey: Blackwell Publishers Ltd.
- Wittgenstein, L. 1958. Philosophical investigations, trans. G. E. M. Anscombe, 2nd edn. Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- Publisher :The Modern Linguistic Society of Korea
- Publisher(Ko) :한국현대언어학회
- Journal Title :The Journal of Studies in Language
- Journal Title(Ko) :언어연구
- Volume : 38
- No :1
- Pages :21-32